Sunday, March 12, 2017

Misread

My heart sinks a little when the big guy gets on the train, because I know the open seat next to me is where he's headed.

Even knowing this, I still find myself getting a little bummed when he backs up and attempts to wedge his bulk into the entirely too small space. He sits, shoved aggressively up against me, leaning awkwardly forward because he can't fit all the way into the seat, and my temper rises for a moment, but then I consider: I'm on my way to a movie where I'll be sitting for the next 2 hours or so, and I'm a healthy, (relatively) young man.

With a smile, I stand up to let him settle in, but he just looks at me suspiciously for a long, uncomfortable moment, as if I might be insulting him, until finally I tell him, "Hey man, just get comfortable."
--------------
Two years ago: Sick
Three years ago: Memories and Grudges
Nine years ago: 3-12-08 fragments


No comments:

Post a Comment