Friday, December 16, 2016

The Mask of Another

Bored eyes, pursed lips, pushing a wheeled suitcase across the subway platform. I unconsciously find my lips twisting to mimic her disappointed moue, in the same way that I find myself repeating phrases spoken in a foreign accent, not to mock, but to taste the way the words feel in their mouths.

In the mask of her expression on my face, I can feel her unsurprised disdain, a touch of disgust, and, beneath it all, a little bit of wistfulness, as if she wished the world were, somehow, different from the way it is, was, will be.

What would it take to make a mouth like that smile?
--------------------------
One year ago today: Holding On
Two years ago today: Proverbs 25:21-22
Three years ago today: Being "In the Moment"
Nine years ago today: 12-16-07 ghosts on my retina

No comments:

Post a Comment