Sunday, December 18, 2016

"Here's to the Hearts that Ache"

Lights come up, credits roll, and I wipe a few errant tears from my eyes. The swooning, multi-colored spectacle has danced across the screen, and the pleasant ache in my heart seems well-worth my ticket.

Behind me, though, I hear a woman break down weeping, the kind of heartbroken, coughing sobs that come up from some deep place in the chest where sorrow lives until it can no longer be choked down or denied. I face the screen, embarrassed, though I can't say why, until my curiosity gets the better of me and I turn to see her a few rows back, face buried in the shoulder of her date, shuddering in the throes of some grief that only another romantic would possibly understand.
-----------------
One year ago today: Jejune
Two years ago today: I'm PRETTY Sure He's Joking
Three years ago today: Late Night Wine Talk
Nine years ago today: 12-18-07 - scrabbling for change


No comments:

Post a Comment