Monday, March 21, 2016

Tough Guy

There's this myth, not exactly an urban legend, but something like it, that says if you ever have to go to prison, your first day inside you have to find the biggest, toughest guy and pick a fight with him.

He kicks your ass, of course, but that's not the end of your to-do list: the day you get out of the infirmary, you have to go back to this big, tough guy, and pick another fight.

The truth of this bit of advice notwithstanding, the logic of demonstrating your toughness by going back to a situation which you know is gonna suck, and doing it anyway, makes a certain sense.

All that is to say, my heart sank as I rounded the corner of the park on my bike to begin my ascent of the final hill again today, and I knew no amount of downshifting was gonna make it any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment