Sunday, July 12, 2015

Things I Kept, Things I Discarded

The box at the top of the closet has yielded a number of treasures, but many more objects that I really can't identify - objects that maybe were once treasures, but now only produce a sense of bafflement.

This music box, for instance, is easy to recognize: it used to belong to my grandmother Gladys, who collected them, and was given to her by my grandfather when they visited Italy. But what are these strings of dark brown, tiny seeds or beans that end with little green glass beads, and why would I keep them?

And this headshot from almost eighteen years ago now: who's this guy with a beard and hollowed out cheeks, looking less in need of an acting gig than of a good, hot meal, and why does he remind me of someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment