Saturday, June 13, 2015

Absinthe

It's only a shot, diluted almost five-to-one with water, but past the alcohol dizziness, I feel a subtle calm elation as all of the day's noise is swept away. And there is a lot of noise from the day: writing didn't go as well as I'd hoped, and all of my hopes and dreams seem, once again, no more than the wishes of a man who is far too invested in himself.

Now I stand beneath a halogen lamp on the side of a school wall, watching the shadow of the dog as she sniffs the corner where bricks come together. It is perfectly still, she is perfectly still, the shadow held in balance, and the warm, thick summer air that I'd hoped would never come settles on me like a tongue, and yet I am happy to sit in this moment, and wait until it chooses to move again.

No comments:

Post a Comment