Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Why Do They Still Call Them "Straphangers?"

The subway has been more crowded, but it's still pretty tight in here, with me and my fellow commuters careening off each other as we stuff the train almost to capacity. Once I've established my spot, placed my bag on the floor between my feet, and grabbed the overhead pole, I settle back into the book that I've been reading for the past few days while traveling back and forth to work.

It's a pretty heavy read, with lots of graphic violence, cursing, dirty sex, dense prose, and Fourteenth Century mysticism, and in these close quarters, I wonder if anybody is looking over my shoulder to read (as I often do to others) and becoming offended.

I glance up, and a women I saw out of the corner of my eye looks away, her face typical New York City impassive, giving away nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment